Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Cutting the cord

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:12:42 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:56:09 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:46:08 -0700 (PDT),

" wrote:

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

It's not that hard to run a second cable into the house.

Part of my house overhangs the house in the back, and it's brown

underneath, so some brown cable going up next to the brown downspout and

then through an easy to drill hole that goes into the closet and it's

barely noticeable.

Another cable went in through tthe aluminum basement window frame, in

the empty space below the channel. So it didnt' interfere with the

operation of the window. For that cable, it's worth using plain cable

with no connector on the end yet, because it will go through a smaller

hole (small enough to fit in the empty space below the window channel) ,

and then to add t he F-connector to the end. They make screw-on

F-connectors though I've never gotten one to work. They also make

normal F-connectors of various designs and fairly cheap pliers to put

them on with. F-connector pliers are those which have a hexagon shaped

hole between the jaws when the jaws are closed. That's how a hexagonal

crimp is put on the round connector sleeve during attaching.

There are all kinds of "putty" or sealant to close the small space

remaining between the hole and the cable. I think just about anything

will work.

I am having a very hard time following the technical discussion on these threads about splitting and connectors, etc.

Your collider friends should be able to explain it to you.

Is anyone addressing the basic question which I THOUGHT this thread was about:

CAN I GET CABLE WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT?

That's not what the thread was about.

Earlier in this thread, someone noted succinctly that one could get away with it for maybe a week until the cable company noticed.

Am I misunderstanding? If so, what IS this about?

I'm not going to tell you. You should pay for your cable like everyone
else.

HB