Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default US power system

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:59:15 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

On 19/04/2014 22:03, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:11:26 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 19/04/2014 20:48, Uncle Peter wrote:
So how did TVs work properly when they used the mains as a guide to
frequency?

I'm not that old.

"Current" ones (ie solid state) lock to the flyback pulses in the
transmission, and don't take any notice of mains.

I'm 38, and I had a TV as a kid that had vertical and horizontal
hold. Is
this anything to do with it?

Don't think so. I think that was just a manifestation of the fact that
component drift with temperature was worse back then. More recent CRT
tellies didn't have them - or they could lock on better.

The latter. That and better temperature control inside the box due to
using solid state components instead of valves.

I wasn't referring to a valve telly.

--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs