Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Cutting the cord

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:01:59 -0400, Adam Kubias

On 2014-04-19 3:54 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 11:34:31 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:52:38 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Consider an outdoor antenna (if you can.) Before doing so, on line antenna
vendors usually offer maps showing which transmitters ought to give a good
signal at your address. Your main choice for outdoor antennas is between
(1) Small (folded) antenna, less than 1 ft. square.
(2) Traditional UHF antenna, 3 ft to 6 ft. with multiple reflectors.
(3) "Mattress" antenna with multiple reflectors (for which several
Youtube videos offer to show us how to build our own.)

All these connect via coax directly to your TV receiver (not to your PC.)

"The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the National
Association of Broadcasters (NAB) have created a color-coded labeling
standard to classify each of the available outdoor antenna types."

Find local stations:

http://www.antennaweb.org/Default.aspx

All but the biggest of these will fit in an attic, if you have an attic
(Well, they will fit even if you don't, but it will be someone else's
attic.) It won't be quite as high and won't have quite the range, and
might not get as many channels, but no climbing tall ladders or being
out in the weather.

Indoor; even in the attic; is a waste of money.

Look at the difference between a tv with no antenna and one with rabbit
ears. In that case, even a little cheap INDOOR antenna makes a lot of
difference.

When I first** installed my large attic antenna, it got all the
Baltimore stations and most DC stations. 40 miles from here. No rabbit
ears had ever gotten more than one or two DC stations, plus the
Baltimore stations. So you're wrong.

**My $10 antenna amp has failed, so the antenna doesn't do as well now,
but I will replace it. Maybe I should have mentioned the value of an
antenna amp to the OP, but he would find out about it soon. Anyhow,
that's between me and Jimmy.

Just go for a proper
tower

Now that is a lot of money, compared to (buying an antenna amp and)
running a cable from the attic. And maybe considered ugly too, and a
hazard if not built right or not maintained or in unusually high winds
or if the ground shifts, etc.

unless you live in a city.

Exactly. These days most people do live in a city or the suburbs.
Jimmy didn't say where he lived.