Posted to alt.home.repair
VQ[_2_] VQ[_2_] is offline

Default Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea?

replying to VQ, VQ wrote:
vacq06 wrote:

Water Heater Mfr: American Water Heater Co
Model: G62-40T34-3N
Capacity: 40 gal, gas-heated, 34000 BTU/HR
Installed in 1998, Souther California, Very Hard Water, No Water
Softening system.
6 year Mfr warranty.
Never maintained.
Currently makes gurgling sounds (like marbles rolling around in tank)
when hot water faucet downstairs is turned on.
Is draining/flushing the water heater now (something that should have
been done every 6-12 months) a bad idea?

I am the OP. Located this thread after doing a Google Search.
I just wanted to add this note, for the record:

The above water heater finally started leaking in 4/2014 (after 15 years !)
I had never flushed or maintained the system in any way.

I would have bought another American Water Heater to replace it, but I
went to Home Depot and they only carry Rheem.
Replacing it with a Rheem XG40T12HE40U0