Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default 3-wire electrical circuit serving both 110 and 220V loads?

On Thursday, December 23, 2004 10:59:07 AM UTC-8, Keith Carlson wrote:

With a 3-wire circuit, is it okay to wire both 120V and 240V outlets on that
same circuit? I know it's *possible* by using the two hots for 240 and
either hot and neutral for 120, but is it recommended?

It used to be common, and my stove and clothesdryer both have 120V as
well as 240V loads, and a three wire plug. This is now not recommended,
and there's good reasons for a four-wire connection instead.
In stoves, a convenience outlet is sometimes supplied, and this would
have a separate fuse (or circuit breaker) so that the 30A fused stove
doesn't cause a fire hazard on the 15A wiring plugged into that
convenience outlet.

The clean solution (ask an electrician to be safe) is to run a four-wire
line from your main breaker to a subpanel; then put any combination
of 240V and 120V breakers into the subpanel, and wire your sockets
from that subpanel. There's lots of rules on subpanel size and
wiring, but it's what an inspector would want to see.