Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Camping Table Plans?

On 19 Apr 2014 17:32:22 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Sonny wrote in
:

On Friday, April 18, 2014 11:59:25 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I've seen designs where turned legs have a screw thread on top.
You can use hangar bolts (wood thread on one side, machine thread on
the other) for the legs. As for the metal insert, that will take some
looking around. Insert nuts or a nut ....

"T" nuts? Used in many cases for hanger bolt and similar
applications. Lots of T nut use on upholstered pieces and, of coruse,
they come in various sizes.
https://www.google.com/search?q=t+nu...en-us:IE-Addre
ss&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7MXGB_enUS512

Sonny

I prefer insert nuts for most places T-nuts are used:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware...=3,41306,45375

T-nuts are prone to fall out as the wood fibers start compressing, while
insert nuts work more like a screw and are much less likely to fall out.

Insert nuts do have a tendency to back out with the screw if tightened too
tightly. For a portable table, though, there's no need to turn the leg
past snug.

Puckdropper

With a t-nut samdwiched between 2 layers of wood it is virtually
impossible for it to work loose or come out.