Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Cutting the cord

" wrote in
message ...
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside
antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when
I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the
house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an
issue or will it work.

As people have said, you can't use the same cable,
but it's easy enough to just buy a length of coax
or antenna cable to run up to your roof. I used to do
that. These days I live in a place where I get 20-odd
stations with just a UHF antenna sitting beside the TV.
I haven't had cable TV since the early 90s.

The big question is reception: If you're in a city trapped
between high buildings, or out in a remote rural area,
what you spend on an antenna and cable could be
wasted.