Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan.Espen Dan.Espen is offline

Default Kitchen Faucet

"Julie Bove" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought
this house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since,
perhaps 8 years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the
faucet about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears
decorative) around the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer
began sticking in the on position. Now it has gotten to the point of
being severe. So much so that I am afraid to use the sprayer.

The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think
he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will
use Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him
until I have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just
to get him in the door.

But... How long should a faucet normally last?

Faucets come in a range of prices and quality.
You can pay a lot more than $250 on just the faucet.

Hoses and spray heads don't last as long as the faucet body
and controls.

14 years and I recently replaced the stainless steel clad hose.
Really a very simple job if you can screw and unscrew things.
The part cost $45.

The sprayer is due for replacement soon, I get dripping out of
the spray nozzles without the button being depressed.
The sprayer head is simple to replace too.
The part cost for that is $87.

I looked online at Lowes and Home Depot. Lowes is closer so I suspect
that is where Mr. Handyman will go. That is where he has gone for
other things.

This is not what I have but seems to have the best review for this
type of setup.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297441-866-C...ray&facetInfo=

I'm not saying HD doesn't carry high end stuff, I don't really know.
But I do know they carry low end stuff.

What I have, has the solid piece of metal with the hose attached to
it, and the single handle. I presume this is what I would have to
replace it with. There are not a lot of options. To get something
else I would likely have to replace the sink and I don't really need a
new sink.

Wrong. The odds are very low that your faucet mount is somehow unique.
You don't have to replace the sink.

--
Dan Espen