Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Camping Table Plans?

HerHusband wrote in
:

I would like to build a small table to take car camping (not
backpacking). Something approximately 16" wide x 12" deep x 16" high.
It needs to fold or knockdown easily so I can stow it in the car.

It should be cheap and simple to build and assemble. Otherwise, I
might as well just buy a commercial camp table.

It will just be used as a place to set a camp stove, and maybe a plate
or something.

Before I bother designing my own table, I'm curious if anyone here
already has plans for a small table like this?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I've seen designs where turned legs have a screw thread on top. The
table would then have some sort of metal insert that the screws would
thread in to.

You can use hangar bolts (wood thread on one side, machine thread on the
other) for the legs. As for the metal insert, that will take some
looking around. Insert nuts or a nut and some epoxy would be a place to
start.

You may need to gently splay the legs out 5 degrees or so, but I don't
know for sure. I wouldn't imagine a camp stove would be too heavy... but
a human is. (Something that size would be easy to use as a step stool or
seat.)

I'd probably figure out some way to make the legs store with the table,
so the entire thing can be taken as one unit.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.