Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default US power system

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:40:49 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 18/04/14 16:11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:30:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Or if there is a tube strike, the underground can sell its surplus at
whatever price it can get.

The underground has its own power station?

I think it's always had one, at least since it was electrified. I
remember reading about it in the same book that had the article about
the Norwich Heat Pump.

Nah. what I meant was that if it has contracted to take electricity it
cannot use, it can sell that on.

I don't think the underground has its own power stations at all.
Substations, yes. Got to turn into into DC somehow.

Not now, but see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lots_Road_Power_Station

which is what I was referring to.

London Underground still have a power station at Greenwich.
It is just used as a standby now though in times past it was a
conventional power station,Gas turbines once installed were used in
the morning and evening peaks as they could be brought online quickly
.. It's these that are retained to be brought into operation quickly if
a power failure from the grid means that trains come to a stop in.
tunnels . Such an evacuation has to be controlled as it hasn't the
capacity to supply enough power to keep a full service running.
It might yet be used in another role.
Some details here.
http://www.energyforlondon.org/green...on-for-london/

G.Harman