Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT eye glasses at least it is not political

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 06:37:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:58:53 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:09:36 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:20:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I need some new glasses, so I went to Zenni............However

I want bifocals with a polycarbonate lens. And Zenni does not do bifocals in Polycarbonate. And they say their polycarbonate lens are not OSHA approved. I tried to get what material they use so I could look up the specs. but I couldn't get that info from them.

So does anyone know of a good place to get bifocals in a material that is OSHA approved? Or at least material that comes close to being OSHA approved.

Dan

I haven't used them, but I found this:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

Glass?

Depends what you are trying to protect against. Flying grit od squash

balls.

Excerpt from my link (above):
"...All styles feature shatterproof polycarbonate lenses, are ANSI Z87.1-2010 certified and provide 99.9% UVA-UVB protection...."

I would have no problem if they were made of glass as long as they honestly met the safety standards advertised.

For my own use, I wear glass lens bifocals 100% of my waking hours -
weather working, driving, reading, or whatever. I do not engage in
ball sports or hockey, ar anything else where large fast-moving
objects are common. When I weld I use welding goggles over the glasses
which prevent hot spatter from damaging the lens (believe it or not,
"plastic" lens are less likely to be damaged by hot spatter than
glass!!) If I'm working under a vehicle or in other places where grit
etc is likely to fall, the glass is less likely to be scratched or
chemically damaged.
The problem comes with the darned anti-glare coating.......