Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default SWITCH

On 4/13/14 9:55 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 23:10:14 -0400, pentapus
wrote:

On 4/11/2014 8:57 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have a Sears 10 inch table saw with 1hp motor that was purchased in
1970. The motor is a capacitor start type motor 115 volts 60 cycles
3450 RPM. The motor uses 20 amps. A 15 amp circuit will not run the
motor. I assume the starting circuit requires the 20 amps, and the run
condition is 15 amps.

The saw came with a two outlet switch that the motor plugged into.

The saw is used for cross cutting of 1 X 2 or 1 X 4 pine or fir. It
never runs for more the 10 minutes at a time. (pictures stretchers and
frames )

Now my question. The switch itself died to night, I have a project that
I on which I am running out of time, I plan to try to find a
replacement switch tomorrow.

That failing can I can I use a common 6 outlet power strip as a switch
on this motor?

Two things...

1)

An inductive load has a turn on/ turn off voltage spike. That will be
harsh on the relatively wimpy switches they put in switched outlets.

Agreed. The saw will be drawing far more than 20A when it starts, not
to mention the arcing caused by the inductive load. I'd buy a switch
that was rated for motors.

I've used the 'motor rated' switches that look like a typical wall light
switch for an old 3/4 HP table saw. These have the red/black body and
are reasonably cheap.
They don't last forever though (I've eaten up 2 over the years with
light use)
-Bruce

2)

If it is a 20A only saw, the plug will have one of the pins horizontal,
rather than vertical and won't fit.

It's a 1HP saw, so about 10A. It draws far more than that when
starting, so the 20A circuit. It likely has a NEMA 5-15 plug.
So...

I think they have covers for handy boxes that will fit a switch and an
outlet. Buy a good light switch and use one of those.

Perhaps:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-2...-2WS/202035005

If I can are there any limitations or problems that I should be aware of.