Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane

Exactly.
I've got a copy, but after talking to others its still in its box.
Apparently the very latest incarnation now detects if you do not have a
touch screen and puts the windows 7 type interface up if this is the case.
In other words, they are admitting they were wrong to try to make it a tonka
toy touch screen system in the first place. Horses for courses comes to mind
and not one size fits all as it was at the start. Everyone told them this
of course during development, but obviously some person there
wasarrogant enough to think they knew better.
Me? Day to day work is still on xp, as it works, and I'm using 7 for other
stuff, and may clone one to put 8.xx on over that later on to just see if
its fixed.
I think one other thing might help many partially sighted folk, there are
now third party shells available to make it look and feel like earlier
windows did. classic Shell is one of these.
Be careful though if the person is ever going to need a proper
screenreader, as although looks are the same, there is no garantee that a
third party will impliment UAC otr Msaa accessability for the menus etc.
It may then not speak correctly.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I went to help an elderly partially sighted lady with her new computer.My
first real experience of Windows 8.

I thought I was good with computers but I felt like I'd never used one
before and left wanting to firebomb the nearest Microsoft office!

It's like someone taking a car and swapping the pedals round, putting the
ignition key in the rear wing and the steering wheel in the glove box. Is
Windows 8 an improvement for some? I'd like to know who they are!!