Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default BSOD, bulging caps, on Gateway GT5056

David Farber wrote:

I'm trying to repair an old model Gateway GT5056 Windows XP system.

Hmmmm. I saw about a half dozen 1,000uF 6.3V capacitors that
were bulging.

I repaired a roomfull of Dell computers at work that all had the capacitor
plague. There are some caps in a switching supply right at the CPU
chip that suffer very high AC ripple that cooks them. I replaced all
the caps in that bank (identified by the bulges or leaks) and they
all worked fine. I did another system where a graphics board
had the same problem.

Jon