Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane

newshound wrote:

On 17/04/2014 20:51, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.classicshell.net/

brings back some semblance of sanity

I started with that shell, but then went back.

I bought a Win8 laptop last summer, but somehow hadn't turned it on for
months... A couple of days ago I did, applied all the pending windows
updates, then installed W8.1, which appears to have arrived with the
subsequent 'update 1' included. My first few uses were really exasperating,
but once I got some useful shortcuts onto the desktop, and now with the very
basic 'start menu' (if you right-click the desktop's start button) I'm much
less put-off by it.

For me, coming from XP, I'm more worried about getting to grips with UAC
which I certainly do not intend to turn off, and getting the scripts etc
which run on my other machines (all XP Pro or Home) adapted to work on the
the new machine.

I chose to get W8, even with all the negative publicity, because I'm willing
to believe that the user interface issues can be worked around, but I want
the underlying OS changes, going from XP - W8, eg changes in the way that
memory is managed to make process/memory isolation better... (I've a
degree in computing & spent much of my working life maintaining a mainframe
OS, so OS (rather than GUI) stuff matters to me.)

I can't stand "File Explorer" though and am thinking seriously about
installing one of the various Explorer replacement tools, probably
"xplorer2". As it is countless scripts I run issue commands to Windows
Explorer and if they can be changed to issue commands to a more versatile
equivalent, so much the better. It seems to me that if I have to learn a
new way of operating a machine, I may as well learn xplorer2 rather than FE.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".