Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT. Windows 8 nearly drove me insane

John Williamson wrote
Murmansk wrote

I went to help an elderly partially sighted lady with her
new computer.My first real experience of Windows 8.

I thought I was good with computers but I felt
like I'd never used one before and left wanting
to firebomb the nearest Microsoft office!

Some always feel like that with every major step with any OS.

It's like someone taking a car and swapping the
pedals round, putting the ignition key in the rear
wing and the steering wheel in the glove box.

Some always feel like that with every major step with any OS.

Is Windows 8 an improvement for some?

Yes.

I'd like to know who they are!!

Those who use modern touch systems.

People whose first experience with a computer was a tablet.

And those who use touch systems now.

I'm just getting to grips with an Android machine.
I'm not* enjoying the experience

I do generally enjoy getting to grips with any major
new OS but I am certainly an exception in that regard.

I do generally prefer iOS in most areas, basically because
its rather more polished than Android, but like with any
major new OS, there will always be some real downsides.
The fact that Apple gets any say on what can be run is
the main downside with iOS. Another is that it isnt even
possible to try a new release of the OS and decide that
you would rather use a previous version once Apple
has decided that they won't allow any stepping back.
And the fact the Apple chooses to no bother with any
low horsepower/cheap hardware is a major downside
for some who just can't justify Apple prices. Not relevant
to me except that it does mean that some who ask for advice
on what to buy can't go that route because of the price.