Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Yodel

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:35:28 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , John Williamson
wrote:
On 17/04/2014 15:42, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 15:48:50 UTC+1, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/04/2014 11:28, whisky-dave wrote:

For about 10 years+ I've been wondering why most if not all
deliveries can't be made after say 7pm (rush hour). Why can't argos
and the like deliver up to say 10pm or midnight and on sundays. Of
course some do but charge extra why ?

Because generally, the staff want to be at home in the evenings, just
as you do, spending time with their family and watching East Enders or
Corrie. Therefore, most of them want to be paid extra for working
unsociable hours, and the unions enforce it.

Like nurses and the police and DJs in night clubs and doormen and night
bus drivers and those that work in power stations and those that work
on the railways, cleaners, pub, resturant, cinemas, even transport
workers.

Most of whom get unsociable hours payments if they work after about
20:00 or before 06:00. I know that when I was working on the railway,
night shift attracted more pay than day shifts, and it's still the same
on most of the bus companies.

Van drivers *are*, in spite of all the evidence, human too.

And you don't think these van drivers could do their job quicker or
more effintly at night than during rush hour if you gave them the
choice. If you work out how much per drop and then per unit time you
could probbaley do the job in half the time. NOT everyone wants to work
9-5

Possibly, but if so, do you not think the companies would already have
done the sums?

It is, of course, much easier to see house names or numbers in daylight..

Unless Bill Wright's started a new trend. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good