Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Yamaha P80 electric piano

On 16/04/2014 19:21, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

Loss of sustain, owner borrowed another pedal and a problem in the
keyboard. Tomorrow I will clear the decks ,rig up strops and crane to
open up. But if anyone has been there before and can point to what to
look for and so minimum amount of time with the beast in bits then all
to the good, to get all 7 octaves out of the way as soon as possible

People tread on the sustain pedal cable and beak or dry joint the jack
socket.

It's highly unlikely to be anything other than that.

Except I had one of these keyboards in for repair about 6 months ago
where the sustain didn't work, but that was because the whole PCB had
been pushed into the keyboard.
Someone must have given the sustain pedal jack plug a severe whack, or
perhaps upended the keyboard onto the floor without first removing it.

Gareth.

I suppose one-man-bands who regularly repair P80/P100s and the like have
a heavy duty frame for fixing the piano to, to safely take apart without
damage to keyboard or human back. I've only dealt with P100 before and
going by the P80 SM the process seems its possible to do single-handed
without too much of a problem. I'll find out tomorrow.