Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default OT computers

"Mayayana" writes:
| It seems to me that making a disk image (which disks, C only, or C and
| D?) with disk wizard, would be a good solution. I haven't looked for
| disk wizard yet, it might even be somewhere on my machine. So my
| question is, is this a good solution, and if so what is the best cloning
| program for the unsophisticated, and where can I get it.

There's a lot of information in the thread about that.
I use BootIt ($35). Bob_Villa posted a link to a free
program. You can research others, but you should
probably also do a bit of reading up if you're not
familiar with disk partitioning.

A disk can have primary partitions (normally up
to 4) and logical partitions. Any number of logical
partitions can be in an extended partition, which is
a kind of primary partition. Data and Linux can go on
any partition. Windows can only go on a primary
partition. (The terms really don't matter. They
could just as easily be choc, vanilla and strawberry.
You just need to know how they work.)

Although with UEFI replacing BIOS booting, the legacy
partition table is pretty much history, having been
replaced by GPT (GUID partition table).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table