Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default US power system

In article ,
Uncle Peter wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:44:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:
I read somewhere that 60Hz is actually the most efficient for
transformers and motors, and we are wasting 20% of our power over here
using 50Hz.

You shouldn't believe everything you read.

There must be an ideal frequency for a transformer, do you have a link
which shows what it is?

It'll depend on what the transformer load is.

60Hz was calculated to be the most efficient by Tesla.

And he died a bankrupt.

Which means he was no good at business, that's all.

Or not efficient?

European designers ignores that and used 50, as it's a round number.

Do you know what a round number is?

Yes. And 50 is rounder than 60. Why do you think we don't have 60p
coins?

See what you mean. A 50p coin is round.

****s. I wonder if that's why US power is cheaper to buy?

Why would the efficiency of a consuming device make a difference to
the energy price?

No, the efficiency of the substation transformers.

How would you explain their lower prices?

They have cheaper energy to make it from?

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.