Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default US power system

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:16:29 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 15/04/2014 23:53, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:24:28 +0100, Uncle Peter wrote:

Plus.... I've found a few websites saying 220V American appliances
can't operate in the UK, because they have two phase power over there?
WTF? Surely all their big appliances see is 220V, connected from L1
to L2. Over here they get the same, but L to N.

It can be true of US inductive loads like motors built down to a price.
The difference in current between a 60Hz design and 50Hz operation can
be a nearly 20% increase in current draw. Running hot = shorter life.

A lot of stuff sold in the USA comes with a US only wallwart PSU.
Japanese kit comes with the ability to run on either since half the
country has US installed 60Hz generators and the rest British 50Hz.

I read somewhere that 60Hz is actually the most efficient for
transformers and motors, and we are wasting 20% of our power over here
using 50Hz. 60Hz was calculated to be the most efficient by Tesla.
European designers ignores that and used 50, as it's a round number.
****s. I wonder if that's why US power is cheaper to buy?

ICI used 33 at Teesside; Aircraft use a much higher frequency.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18