Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Want to borrow a SawStop

On 4/16/2014 7:25 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:51:34 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I try to pay attention to NOT forgetting to lower the saw after moving
it. It really is likely to roll out of the garage as it does roll that
easily.

I guess the real question is: How many times a day do you think it
would be nice to have dedicated shop instead of a limited space
garage?

Actually I have all of a three car garage to use. All of my equipment
is on mobile bases so it gets rolled into the one car side so that my
wife can bring her car inside the 2 car side of the garage at night 90%
of the time. I think the shop would have to be at least tripple in size
before I might consider making them stationary.

That said I do very often position the equipment in different positions
in relation to one another. It is handy to sometimes have the router
table close to the TS so that I can rip both edges of a board after
forming a molding edge and then back to the router table for two more
edges and so on. This was very handy when making the half round
moldings for the walnut curio cabinets several weeks ago. Then there
are times that having a work surface close to the TS is handy for
stacking and staging pieces that I may be cutting groves or tenons on to.

And regardless of the fact that I have most of the 2 car side to use
when operating the TS I still use it in multiple positions/locations
depending on whether I am cross cutting small pieces or ripping long
pieces. This is especially true when I have a large cabinet set up on
top of my break-down 8' long work area.

With all that to consider and the cost of a dedicated shop I think the
ability to move the equipment to any location in my current space trumps
the expense of having the extra room. If I were a production shop extra
space would be better from an assembly and finishing stand point. I
could continue to cut and mill lumber while other pieces were in the
clamps or waiting for the finish to dry. Since I bought the Saw Stop
about 11 months ago I have been relatively busy. I have built a +15
multi-game board mobile cabinet, a thread cabinet-cabinet, a small
hanging corner curio display, and the two walnut curio cabinets for
customers. For my wife the two large cabinets for her long arm sewing
machine and the sewing desk that I recently completed. For me a two
drawer mobile cart that resides under the TS right extension table that
also holds my 2 Dubby jigs and the TS rip fence. For us the Walnut
entertainment center.

I have been quite content with the space I have so far in the last 3 years.