Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default US power system

On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 12:21:39 UTC+1, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:16:29 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 15/04/2014 23:53, Uncle Peter wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:24:28 +0100, Uncle Peter wrote:

Plus.... I've found a few websites saying 220V American appliances can't

operate in the UK, because they have two phase power over there? WTF?

Surely all their big appliances see is 220V, connected from L1 to L2.

Over here they get the same, but L to N.

It can be true of US inductive loads like motors built down to a price.

The difference in current between a 60Hz design and 50Hz operation can

be a nearly 20% increase in current draw. Running hot = shorter life.

A lot of stuff sold in the USA comes with a US only wallwart PSU.

Japanese kit comes with the ability to run on either since half the

country has US installed 60Hz generators and the rest British 50Hz.

I read somewhere that 60Hz is actually the most efficient for transformers and motors, and we are wasting 20% of our power over here using 50Hz. 60Hz was calculated to be the most efficient by Tesla. European designers ignores that and used 50, as it's a round number. ****s. I wonder if that's why US power is cheaper to buy?

Well their oil/petrol is cheaper and their food and cars and housing.

http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/dow...-Frequency.pdf

They also drive on teh wrong side of the road

--

Keyboards used to be expensive and beer used to be cheap.

Now beer is expensive and keyboards are cheap.

Conclusion, it's still bad to spill beer on your keyboard.