Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default US power system

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:44:40 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:
I read somewhere that 60Hz is actually the most efficient for
transformers and motors, and we are wasting 20% of our power over here
using 50Hz.

You shouldn't believe everything you read.

There must be an ideal frequency for a transformer, do you have a link which shows what it is?

60Hz was calculated to be the most efficient by Tesla.

And he died a bankrupt.

Which means he was no good at business, that's all.

European designers ignores that and used 50, as it's a round number.

Do you know what a round number is?

Yes. And 50 is rounder than 60. Why do you think we don't have 60p coins?

****s. I wonder if that's why US power is cheaper to buy?

Why would the efficiency of a consuming device make a difference to the
energy price?

No, the efficiency of the substation transformers.

How would you explain their lower prices?

--
Apparently Jimmy Savile isn't dead, he was recently seen off the Scarborough coast bobbing up and down on a small buoy.