Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OTish Battery like on smartphone?

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
SWMBO has a HTC Wildfire, which is a lower end phone. Can't get rid of
Facebook or Youtube, or stop them running. Result is phone hasn't got
enough memory for updates, because of the weird way Android seems to
have minimum system memory, but acres of data memory.

I wish I could find a simple explanation of why Android works like this.
On tablets here, they are always running out of memory in spite of
running every memory manager I can find and regularly going in, stopping
applications and removing data, and running Malwarebytes.
The machine with 512megs is hopeless, yet a few weeks back I replaced an
XP machine that was still running useably, if slowly, for an elderly
lady on 256megs.
Things like the App Store are particularly bad. Why is it using mega
memory when I'm not using it? And why have I still got almost all the
8gigs of main memory sitting there empty?
--
Bill