Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default US power system

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 01:00:02 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:53:46 +0100
"Uncle Peter" wrote:

Plus.... I've found a few websites saying 220V American appliances
can't operate in the UK, because they have two phase power over there?

Which websites?

Here's one: http://www.220voltappliances.com/faq.htm
"Can I connect an American 220 Volt Dryer or other 220 volt American products to a Transformer?
No you cannot connect an American 220 Volt Dryer or other 220 volt american products to a Transformer. Voltage Transformers are made to convert single phase 110 or 220 volt. American 220 volt consists of 2 phase of 110 volt and European 220 volt consists of 1 phase of 220 volt."

--
Uncle Larry was smoking in a restaurant the other day when a guy came up to him and said, "That smoke's bothering me."
Larry said, "Well, it's killing me. If I don't care about what it's doing to me, why would I give a **** what it's doing to you?"