Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking or politic.

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?

There is something wrong with the trolls who insist on posting
political junk in the newsgroup -- and cross-posting to other newsgroups
which tend to feed in more junk.

The only thing which makes this newsgroup usable at all is a
very aggressive killfile.

As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Since at the time the newsgroup was formed, it was not obvious
that moderation would be needed, this is an un-moderated newsgroup, and
the amount of politics necessary to change it to moderated is beyond
what would be considered practical.

Use a real newsreader with a good killfile feature and spend
some time putting trolls and "Subject: " lines into it, and things get a
lot better.

And -- absolutely *never* reply to any of the trolls. This both
helps them get around killfiles based on poster name, and gives them the
pleasure they want from having offended someone.

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

So -- post metalworking related articles, and help push things
back the direction they should be.

Good Luck,
DoN.

It seems that most metalworking people are opinionated and express those
opinions at the drop of a hat.