Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3-wire electrical circuit serving both 110 and 220V loads?

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 17:43:21 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Sorta...

Sorta (as long as we're being pedantic ;-)

I have a degree in Physics and retired as an EE after 20+ years.

Watts is the value in power if it were a resistive load.

Sorta, kinda, perhaps poorly worded. Power is measured in watts. W=VA
if the load is resistive.

VA is the voltage times the current (and ignoring the phase angle
between them) Which gives a completely different wattage for a reactive
load like a motor.

Assuming there are no harmonics, which is a good approximation for an
induction motor but may not be a good assumption for other situations.
Electronic loads are often particularly bad. Fluorescent lighting is
another example where the power factor (W/VA) is often particularly
bad.

ELI the ICE man.
Voltage leads current (in time) in inductive (coil) circuits.
Current (I) leads Voltage in a capacitive circuit -
starting coil with cap. Cap larger than coil
in reactive values. XL == ac resistance XC == ac resistance.

The important thing is that wiring and circuit elements (switches,
breakers, connections, generation) must be sized for volt-amperes,
where the power consumed (heat load, electric bill, etc.) is
quantified by watts. VA is always equal (only for purely resistive
loads) to or greater (all other cases) than watts. Reactive (either
inductive or capacitive) loads cause additional problems not
quantified by either.