Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.legal,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptive advertising

On 04/14/2014 07:35 AM, TJ wrote:

On 04/14/2014 06:26 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Heck, even Safeway can tell me, for every single slab of meat
in the refrigerated section, how much each one weighs, within
reason.

When you buy meat at Safeway that they don't describe as "boneless,"
like chicken, semi-boneless ham, T-bone steak, pork chops, rib roast,
whole fish, etc, does Safeway tell you how much of the contents are
usable (i.e. NOT bone), or do they tell you the TOTAL weight? The
supermarkets around here all tell you "net weight," including inedible,
unusable bone. And in the case of a pork roast, that weight often
includes a piece of inedible, unusable skin, as well.

Often, the unusable portion could be considered insignificant - but not
always. For example, by the time you remove the patch of skin and the
rather large bone from a pork shoulder, you have maybe half the volume
of the original piece of meat - if you're lucky. That's why it's one of
the least expensive cuts of pork. Bone-in chicken is often a good half
bone, as well.

But the supermarkets don't tell you that, do they?

No, but if you ring the bell for the butcher he can probably tell you
roughly how much waste there is. Moreover, food is likely to be
something that you continue to purchase, so your experience will tell
you the difference between a whole chicken and boneless, skinless
chicken breasts. I think they're also required to tell you how much
water has been injected into it, but again, that's something you can
learn through experience. We really don't buy a new cellphone every few
weeks, and when we do buy another one it's not likely to bear much
relationship to the one we bought before.

All we want is to know what we're buying before we buy it. Personally,
I want an easy return method if I can't test beforehand. It's my own
fault that I didn't realize how important being able to take decent
pictures of something more than 3 feet away was within the 2-week easy
return period, which is a learning experience: test the hell out of
something as soon as you buy it!

--
Cheers, Bev
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a