Joe Fleming

Default Chess set plans for the lathe

Somewhere, and I can't recall where, I saw a knight that was turned with a
tapering form and then parted flat on top. Then, the piece was cut at about
50 degrees through this taper. The cut "nose" piece was rotated 180 degrees
so that the two cut surfaces met. With the 50 degrees cut, the "nose" piece
had a 10 degrees downward tilt. So, the piece was mostly turned with a bit
of diagonal cutting and gluing. I presume a bit of hand sanding was
required to blend the two oval mating surfaces.

As for sources of ideas, I believe I have seen ideas and/or plans in Bill
Jones' books, in Mike Darlow's books and in "Woodwork" magazine, among
others.

Joe Fleming - San Diego
"fipster" wrote in message
Does anybody know of any web sites dealing with chess piece designs for

the lathe. I would like to
make all the pieces entirely on the lathe (no carving)