Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptive advertising

On Monday, April 14, 2014 6:26:48 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:15:02 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Do you disagree that to keep it accurate, the free storage space

would have to be updated real-time?

Hi Trader,

Sigh.

I'm getting repetitive, so, maybe we'll just need to agree to

disagree so everyone doesn't have the read the same arguments.

Somehow, every other company on the planet manages to understand

its product "contents" "out of the box" well enough to report to

the consumer how much it "contains" (out of the box) when those

contents can vary across items.

That's not true. The example of a PC has been cited many times.
I've never seen a PC manufacturer spec a number other than the
unformatted drive capacity. They don't spec what's left after
it's formatted, after the OS, after the restore partition, after
the apps, etc. You say that doesn't count, because the amount of
space left is still large. So then take a look at tablet devices.
I just looked at Dell's website. They have a bunch of tablets and
all they give is the spec for the total storage, not what's left.

Why can't phone companies tell us how much memory it has available,

out of the shrink-wrapped box?

I've explained one good reason why they don't want to, but you refuse
to address it. That's because they would have to maintain a list and
update it in real-time. That doesn't work well when you want to put
out marketing literature, advertisements, maintain websites, etc.
All Tmobiles competitors are saying their phone has 16GB internal storage,
and Tmobile is going to say, as of 10AM, 4/14, our LG L9 has 650MB,
later today, it may be different?

As I already stated multiple times, Kelloggs manages to state at

least how much cereal is guaranteed to be in a box ("some settling

of contents may occur"); Coca Cola manages to state how much liquid

is going to be in a bottle; Airsoft manages to guarantee 1,000

BBs in a bag; toilet paper manufacturers seem to be able to figure

out how many sheets are on a rool; tire manufacturers seem to get

the load-carrying capacity under control; Toyota can tell you how

many miles per gallon the various Camrys will get within reason;

etc.

Do any of those products have an automatic update service that can
change the those product parameters any time you turn it on? Good grief.
And it;s not that they just can, it's that they do get updates
frequently.

Heck, even Safeway can tell me, for every single slab of meat

in the refrigerated section, how much each one weighs, within

reason.

See the above. Which is a more vaild comparison, beef or PC's
and tablets?

If a phone carrier can't tell me, within reason, how much memory

is available to the user at the time the box is opened, then

they have absolutely no business selling phones.

It's that simple.

And again, to do that, they'd have to maintain a list of all phones
they are selling, updated in real-time. Do tablet manufacturers do
that?

If someone thinks that's too much to ask of the phone carrier,

then we will just need to agree to disagree, & leave it at that.

If I was the carrier and I only had a few people complaining,
I don't think I'd maintain a list. I would put a disclaimer on
the literature that says a substantial portion of the available
flash storage is used by the OS, pre-loaded apps, etc. That
way anyone that is concerned can go to the phone store, turn
the thing on, and take a look.