Ecnerwal

Default Chess set plans for the lathe

In article ,
Grandpa wrote:

There was an adequate response at the beginning of the thread with a
ShopSmith set, although I too don't care for the knight. I've
considered turning the set and the base for the knight but cutting the
actual horses head on the scroll saw and attaching to the base. Not
sure yet though if it'll look funky. I've searched the web for hours
and only run across 2 or 3 at most but none of them inspired me.

More typical approach, and bound to look better than an "attached" head
is to turn what you can of the head, and then carve/saw/etc the rest of
it. Similar but more complex version of how you can turn a "tophat" on
the king and then cut off the round sides to get a cross, if you want.
Turn the rim on the rook and then cut crenellations in it, etc.

Many commercial designs (above the molded plastic level, anyway) have
done away with any non-turned details (generally excepting the horses),
presumably for speed of production. Those details, done well, can make
the set, and I speak as a dedicated turner.

BTW, I also think the Shopsmith set is an awful design.