Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Fertilizer spreader settings

On 4/12/2014 9:35 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
John posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Scotts has turned the trophy lawn into a 'not worth the expense' thing
of the past.

Grow weeds, or better yet veggies or fruit, and enjoy the colorful display.

Yep, I gave up a few years ago. Whatever grows I cut it and hope its green!

John

+1 on this. I *used* to care about my lawn and spread the $$$ like you did.
After the first experience-like yours-I just set the spreader to the light
setting and figured I'd just spread it around; several times if need be and
fill in "holes" that I invariably left. I knew the area the bag should cover
and just kept spreading until it matched.

We were discussing this at work one time at lunch and the boss walked by and
happened to listen to us. He says: "Don't bother to spend your money on that
crap. just set your mower to it's highest setting and leave it there. It
will choke out the weeds and grow deep roots" So I did, took about three
years but lawn got better every year. Frustrates my neighbor whom spends
the big buxs and is no better than mine. One time when I was unable to mow
it the neighbor did it on his mower setting and made my lawn look like his.
It has since recovered.

I have since come to the conclusion that in my disabled state that a
showcase lawn just doesn't matter... But that is ME.

My son mows his lawn at the highest setting, and that is ALL the care
that it gets...always has the greenest lawn in the neighborhood, and has
probably watered twice in the ten years he has lived in his home. I
think a lot of folks don't realize what a difference correct mowing and
watering make. I've had neighbors who watered every day and subscribed
to the monthly "whether you need it or not" lawn-chemical service.

I think it was a couple of years ago that (Hillsborough County?) forbade
selling fertilizer in summer because so much of it was ending up in
Tampa Bay. Sad.