Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Fertilizer spreader settings

A couple of years ago I replaced our no-name spreader, for which
settings were always a very wild guess because no fertilizer bags showed
the proper settings for it, by a Scotts Edge-Guard, for which "everyone"
gives settings.

Today I started spreading our store-brand fertilizer whose bag said to
use a setting of 8 to 8 1/4 for the Edge-Guard; I used 8. But by the
time I had done about 3000 sf of lawn I'd used an amount of fertilizer
that should have been sufficient for 5000 sf. I don't think my "passes"
over the lawn were too close together.

Perhaps I should have checked to see what setting for the equivalent
Scotts fertilizer was -- but even that might not have been right for the
store-brand fertilizer if the granules were smaller or larger.

Have other people had similar problems? Did you find a solution?

Perce