Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood to Tile Threshold

"BenignBodger" wrote in message

On 4/11/2014 7:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:18:05 -0400, BenignBodger
wrote:

Since I'm redoing this bathroom for my
elderly mother any sort of trip hazard is a worry but
putting in any of the threshold pieces I've seen
would seem to make it worse by being even thicker.
Any ideas?

I have metal transitions for the doorways to my
kitchen, where it goes form hardwood to thick vinyl
sheeting. Kitchen floor is about 1/4 higher. They're
3'' wide and are "stepped" so you couldn't even stub
your toe on the lips. Got them at a big box, and they were an exact
replacement for the old ones, whose finish was was
junked up. Did it when I sanded the hardwood floors.
They look good and last forever. Cut to size with a
hacksaw.

Thanks. I'll drop by Lowe's and HD later today when I'm
out and about and see what they have. All I've noticed
before has been wood which was thick enough to go over
both surfaces making it an even larger hazard. I had been
leaning toward a shop-made tapered wood strip (I do have
a full woodworking shop) but I'm always up for an easy
quick solution that does the job.

If you wind up making one start with a piece of wood with a thickness that
matches sub-floortile; taper it to the thickness of the wood floor. Cut
out 2-3" of the wood floor and stick in the tapered piece.

--

dadiOH