Posted to alt.home.repair
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default Hardwood to Tile Threshold

On 4/11/2014 7:04 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:18:05 -0400, BenignBodger
wrote:

Since I'm redoing this bathroom for my
elderly mother any sort of trip hazard is a worry but putting in any of the
threshold pieces I've seen would seem to make it worse by being even
thicker. Any ideas?

I have metal transitions for the doorways to my kitchen, where it goes
form hardwood to thick vinyl sheeting. Kitchen floor is about 1/4
higher. They're 3'' wide and are "stepped" so you couldn't even stub
your toe on the lips.
Got them at a big box, and they were an exact replacement for the old
ones, whose finish was was junked up.
Did it when I sanded the hardwood floors.
They look good and last forever. Cut to size with a hacksaw.

Thanks. I'll drop by Lowe's and HD later today when I'm out and about and
see what they have. All I've noticed before has been wood which was thick
enough to go over both surfaces making it an even larger hazard. I had been
leaning toward a shop-made tapered wood strip (I do have a full woodworking
shop) but I'm always up for an easy quick solution that does the job.