Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default How to make painted OSB look halfway decent?

"-MIKE-" wrote

That's what I figured. I remember working with the stuff in the late
80s and early 90s and it was pretty nasty. The OSB that's out now is
much different. It's still OSB, so it is what it is. But I've found it
to be much improved over the stuff from 25 years ago.

If you ever run across Advantech or Norbord Truflor, check them out.
They are very advanced OSB subflooring sheets and are great to work with
and strong as an ox. Also, they are very water resistant.

If you were to in any way compare OSB and Advantec (engineered subfloor
composite board) I would argue most strenuously. They are not the same
product. Not even close. In the first place, OSB is made cheaply to cover
large areas economically, where strength is not key. The engineered
subfloor is very strong, and used because it does not suffer from
delaminating and voids as modern plywood seems to suffer. It is also quite
expensive, in comparison to OSB.

Advantec is still not to be used under tile because no wood is rated for
direct contact with masonry unless is is treated, and Advantec is not. Wood
also does not have the same coefficients of expansion as tile, and therefore
is not a good choice of material for bonding to masonry. Advantec, however,
shows very little signs of swelling or coming apart in flakes when exposed
to the weather, even for long periods of time. I have seen it weather for
nearly a year with very little changes other than discoloration.
--
Jim in NC

---