Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default How to make painted OSB look halfway decent?

On 4/11/2014 8:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/11/14, 3:28 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/11/2014 3:26 PM, Michael wrote:
What's the secret to painting OSB so that it doesn't look like
painted OSB? It doesn't have to be great, just not so
cheap-looking.

Thanks.

The secret is buying sanded, maple, or birch ply. There is no way to
make a rough surface look good.

It's like how to I take a piece of crap and turn it into gold... you
just can't do it.

OSB is an awful material in my opinion. It rots real quickly,

Anything will rot when it stays wet. Wood building material aren't
supposed to stay wet.

it doesn't hold nails or screws real well.

I'm curious, when's the last time you used it?
I have it in my shop and it holds screws great! Especially those Spax
screws designed for particle board.

Well the house was built in 87 and that's the OSB I've primarily worked
with and been frustrated with. Although I have a few sheets of OSB in
the basement, that I am waiting to use on some garbage project. I got it
for $1 and figured if I ever need a shipping crate it would be the tkt.

In my opinion, no ply product holds nails well and they shouldn't be
used when screws are available.

I would agree.

--
Jeff