Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default TV sound volume decreases as picture gets dark

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:51:18 PM UTC-4, Joe wrote:
I have a 10 year old Apex TV, (CRT picture tube).

It has gradually acquired some irritating faults, but now has one that

is pretty much intolerable.

When the picture (i.e., the scene) gets dim or very dark, the audio

level drops, practically to inaudibility.

I presently have more time than money, and I think I would like to

repair this TV if it's possible.

Could this audio symptom be the result of failing capacitors? If so,

approximately how many capacitors might be involved, and what is a

guesstimate for the cost of these capacitors?

If the symptom is almost certainly due to some other cause, what might

it be?

Oh, the reason I would like to attempt the repair is that the picture is

still sharp, bright and contrasty.

Thanks.

--- Joe

If you want to confirm a Macrovision problem, if possible take a video output signal of the program before it hits the TV and run it through a D to A converter such a s a digital video mixer. What comes out should be stripped of macrovision. Then feed this signal into an AV input on the TV. Lenny