Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood to Tile Threshold

BenignBodger wrote:
On 4/11/2014 5:53 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:18:05 -0400, BenignBodger
wrote:

I apologize for posting something on-topic but I actually do have a
home repair question: how do I handle the transition between an old
red oak hardwood floor and newly-laid porcelain tile. I worked
really hard to get the floor levels to come out even after I had to
jackhammer out the mud floor base in an old ensuite and I thought I
built up the new subfloor to a perfect height but failed to take
into account the thickness of Schluter Ditra. Now the tile is Just
a hair (well, about 1/4" or 6.5mm) higher than the wood at the door
opening. Since I'm redoing this bathroom for my elderly mother any
sort of trip hazard is a worry but putting in any of the threshold
pieces I've seen would seem to make it worse by being even thicker.
Any ideas?

The easiest way is to use tapered shims to elevate the edge of the
flooring closest to the higher floor elevation. When it is complete
the two types of floor will be at the same elevation and the shims
will negate the need for a transition piece that could create its own
potential trip hazard.

I can't even imagine what would be required to shim underneath the
existing nailed-down 3/4" hardwood flooring. No. I take that back. I
_can_ imagine what it would take but I just can't imagine doing it.

See if you can find 2" x 6" flat cap like that used on walls that matches
your new floor . Another option is to rip /sand/stain a tapered strip of
wood and glue it to the existing hardwood .
--
Snag