Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Use pre-emergent weedkiller *and* reseed damaged areas -- how?

I have combination fertilizer + Pre-emergent weedkiller ("Crab-grass
preventer") that I bought *before* part of our lawn was dug up to
replace a water pipe.

Now I have two conflicting requirements:

1. prevent all the crab-grass seeds from germinating

2. reseed the bare areas.

Will simply covering with plywood or plastic the areas I want to reseed
while I am applying the fertilizer+weedkiller, *then* reseeding and
fertilizing (with starter fertilizer) the bare areas work?

Any better suggestions?

Perce

Lawns are not one of my skills, but the weather the last 2 years damaged
what was not a great lawn to start with (I have great weeds) and I did
some research.

In Minneapolis the suggested period for pre-emergent herbicide
application is May 5-20, on average. And we had a late spring. You might
want to check at a competent garden center.

For grass seed here, may not apply elsewhe
Grass can be low maintenance or high maintenance. High maintenance
presumably looks better, but needs more water and fertilizer.

The packaged grass seed mix you get at hardware/box/similar stores is
"genetically improved", which means there is a patent (or whatever) that
restricts the sale. "Improved" very likely means high maintenance.

Garden centers are likely to have seed mixes that have been around for a
long time and are low maintenance. Likely sold bulk.

Depends on how much work you want to do.

(The package mix I got years ago also does not match the rest of the lawn.)