Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr. Kim M Mr. Kim M is offline

Default after installing toilet found too close to wall,H20 tank wont fit right, need 2in+

replying to nestork , Mr. Kim M wrote:
nestork.d8d1428 wrote:

WW:
I agree with Oren on everything except the terminology. Oren says that
different toilets come with different "offsets", and I call those
different "rough-ins".
The rough-in is the distance from the middle of the toilet's drain pipe
to the surface of the finished wall. Nowadays, most toilets are made to
fit a 12 inch rough-in. However, most toilet companies will make
toilets that fit a 10 inch rough-in and some will make toilets that fit
a 14 inch rough-in. In your case, you probably removed a toilet that
had a 10 inch rough-in, and you replaced it with one with a 12 inch
rough-in, and now you're discovering that it won't fit properly. If you
return the new toilet you have for a refund, and buy a toilet with a 10
inch rough-in, you should be OK.
As I did a Google search for "standard rough-in", I came across this
page on e-Bay listing a fair number of brand new toilets that are made
with a 10 inch rough-in:
'10" Rough in Toilet | eBay'
(http://www.ebay.com/bhp/10-rough-in-toilet)
Also, now that you have the toilet out, it's a good idea to paint the
area directly behind where the toilet tank will be with several coats of
interior oil based primer, which you still should be able to buy,
followed by a couple of coats of Zinsser's Perma-White Bathroom Paint.
The primer will be impervious to moisture, and you need that in the
small gap between the toilet tank and the wall behind. Without that oil
based primer, any condensation that accumulates on the wall behind the
toilet tank will seep into the plaster or drywall and cause water damage
to the wall there. Painting with an alkyd primer prevents the moisture
from being absorbed into the plaster or drywall, and thereby prevents
that water damage.

Thank you for the information. I did measure as you suggested and the
measurements were correct. I did not know the wall is not square. Thank
you again for info.