Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to disassemble needle nose pliers (use muriatic)

On 4/11/2014 2:19 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:43:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I had, years ago, an old pair of country boy's
fence pliers. I may try this, if I still have
them.

Just for grins and giggles, I got the old fence
pliers, laying in he muddy gravel in front of my
trailer where I left them about three or four
years ago. I found my old jug of muriatic, and
poured some on. Then, I took a sandwich bag and
pour some in, and let that soak. Took them out,
and beat on em with a hammer, and used a cold
chisel right behind the pivot to put some separating
force. The joint loosened up a bit. Hit it with
hammer some more. Pour some more acid on,and work
it with muscle power. After a while the joint
loosened up, as free as the day it was born. I'm
thrilled and giggling, and thankful to the kind
people on this list.

I'm going to leave the pliers some where dry, over
night. and then lubricate with a couple drops of
motor oil.

Thank you Nestork, and anyone else who suggested.

Did you neutralize the acid with a solution of water and baking soda?

Then let them dry out and oil...

My neglect, thought I mentioned that. I sprayed it
with a blast of lye based oven cleaner (which also
helps remove rust in some situations) and then
rinse with lots of water. Thank you for asking, and
catching my omission, I forgot to

--
..
Christopher A. Young