Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default LG hombot robot vacuum cleaner disassembly

In sci.electronics.repair John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:54:16 GMT, Jan Panteltje wrote:

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:19:34 -0700) it happened John Larkin
wrote in
:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:11:35 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

Had the 'suction motor' on the lab supply.
12V 300mA (280 mA when vacuum sucked, not much sucking power really).
It has some temp sensor mounted on the side, so is protected.
Nothing wrong with the motor.
Stupid hobbyist amateur LG design sensor system,
bridged the sensor resistor in the driver with a 10 cm piece of
wire from flat cable, works 100% OK now, apart from its other quirks.
It came after me! wow.
2 minute soldering job, its running now.
And its silent, pulled the speaker plug!
Hit my plant again too, just in time stopped it from falling over by pressing stop on the remote.
Will it go up in flames if the motor shorts or something?
Well there is something to say for that, probably sets the lipo on fire or
burns the PCB, but my experience is that the resistance of the strand of flatcable
is so high that it will shut of its sensors anyways, and the thermal cutout on the motor as last resort.
And I Am Watching It.

**** it just pulled out the cable to the LED lights.

I work with electronics all day. We have to think really hard to solve complex
puzzles, sometimes under pressure from customers. I absolutely don't want to
come home and battle buggy firmware and puzzle over someone else's bizarre user
interfaces. Cord, switch, motor is the maximum level of complexity I want to
manage when I'm not being paid to do it.

I use PCs at work, so I got my wife all Apple stuff, specifically so I can't be
expected to help her with it.

Yea, well I made my living for a long time in broadcast,
and 'the show must go on', and how the f*k you do it at that moment is less important.
And that was in shifts too, 12 hour days...
Increasing complexity, came from tubes to integrated circuits, 10 minutes
is a long time but you need to fix something you have sometimes never seen before, and
especially never used before... in less if possible.
So its always fun to fix things, keeps the mind alive, had the diagnosis 100% right.
I am not impressed by any of your complex designs as far as complexity goes,
have you ever seen the circuit diagram of a color TV studio?
And the equipment in it?
Just wrote an other display driver today... between coffees, build the test hardware too.

This is pretty complex:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/DSC09478.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../TEM2/Rear.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/Tem2_Top.jpg

What's going on with with the large resistor?