Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 20 people stabbed by 16-yr-old "student" Franklin Regional HighSchoolin Murrysville PA

On Friday, April 11, 2014 12:39:53 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
I can see how teachers having handguns in school might be problematic.

Teachers simply don't have the training and experience it takes to get

into a fire fight with an armed student and win. They're as likely to

shoot innocent bystanders as they are the bad guys.

I don't agree with the premise that a teacher with a carry permit
is as likely to shoot innocent bystanders as they are the bad guy.
But a simple requiement that any school employee that is armed has
to take the appropriate training, stay current in the training, etc
solves that concern.

But why can't school principals have access to the same "flash bang"

grenades that SWAT teams use to temporarily disorient bad guys? That

would give the principal and teachers a chance to overwhelm the bad guys

and disarm them or whatever the situation calls for. At least it's

something. Right now the teachers and school staff don't have anything

to deal with a shooter or someone on a stabbing rampage.

It might be better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to be the school principal that had to confront the Columbine shooters, Adam Lanza, etc with a flash bang.
They are typically used in situations where a team is going to immediately
follow with a sudden, swift entry to take control. The flash/bang distracts
and disorients the perp for that brief period. Tossing one at a moving
shooter in a school doesn't sound particularly effective. Nor does chucking
one into a classroom full of kids and the shooter. It's going to stun
the kids too, ie instead of them being able to run out, you might just have
total chaos and not accomplish much. It's not like the typical scenario
where in 10 secs the armed swat team is in to take control.