Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Hardwood to Tile Threshold

On 4/11/2014 3:18 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
I apologize for posting something on-topic but I actually do have a home
repair question: how do I handle the transition between an old red oak
hardwood floor and newly-laid porcelain tile. I worked really hard to
get the floor levels to come out even after I had to jackhammer out the
mud floor base in an old ensuite and I thought I built up the new
subfloor to a perfect height but failed to take into account the
thickness of Schluter Ditra. Now the tile is Just a hair (well, about
1/4" or 6.5mm) higher than the wood at the door opening. Since I'm
redoing this bathroom for my elderly mother any sort of trip hazard is a
worry but putting in any of the threshold pieces I've seen would seem to
make it worse by being even thicker. Any ideas?

If the grout joint where the two meet is wide enough, perhaps adding
some grout to taper off the highest edge? Or make a shim to match the
wood flooring and glue it down? If you are game to rip up some tile,
the cement can be laid to make the tile slant a touch....that is what
the contractor did, but in reverse, to raise the new tile to be even
with existing terrazzo floor.