Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default LG hombot robot vacuum cleaner disassembly

On 04/11/2014 03:23 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:15:30 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

On a sunny day (Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:19:32 -0700) it happened John Larkin
wrote in
:

This is pretty complex:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/DSC09478.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../TEM2/Rear.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/Tem2_Top.jpg

PCIe interface, FPGA, ARM, several fiberoptic picosecond-resolution time
stampers, 16 1-ns resolution fiberoptic pulse outputs (pretty clever, wish it
was my idea), a piezo driver ARB, 16 fast energy sensor interfaces, system and
PLC interfaces, Ethernet, 68 total connectors to the outside world. Lots of
mixed analog and digital technologies.

OK now imagine a couple of thousand of boxes like that, all different of course,
with miles and miles of cable interconnect, multiple control points, MW
power consumption (all together) and thousands of people working with these,
and flipped out screaming directors and a short timetable.
And locations, size, remote, satellite links, and all on the tick of the clock,
and you have a modern broadcast complex.
Light, sound, video,

I wouldn't enjoy that. The alpha males would be the producers and the
"artists" and the "talent." Techs and engineers are peons in a culture
like that. And I like to work on time scales of weeks and picoseconds,
not minutes.

There's the same problem in companies started by scientists; EEs get
little respect. It's usually better in companies founded by engineers.

Yup. Same in astronomy and biotech.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--