Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Flexible endoscope recommendations?

On 11 Apr 2014, Roger Mills grunted:

In ,
wrote:
I'm looking for one of those endoscopes with its own monitor for
hunting around inside car bodywork, etc. (I already have a basic USB
one but I want to avoid having to mess around with a laptop as
well).

Any experience / recommendations? Some of the chinese ones on ebay
at ~ £100 look quite good.

Depends on whether you'd be happy with the small screen and
relatively low resolution. The all in one units tend to be SD. The
ones without screen can be HD.

Indeed. I've got a Maplin all-in-one jobbie, and am not all that
impressed. The picture isn't all that good, and the screen bit
inevitably moves when you manipulate the camera end, so it's difficult
the work out the orientation of what you're looking at. Typical
intended use was things like trying to see where waste pipes went,
behind a kitchen cabinet - but I ended up totally confused!

That experience sounds identical to mine, using a laptop/USB type.
Honestly, I think every time I've tried to use it for something useful (ie
similar use to yours) rather than examining body orifices, I've given up!

--
David