Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default OT computers

| You seem to have a better understanding of PC's than I do...but I have
heard what you are saying many times in different forums. Even CCleaner will
do a reg. clean-up!

There are so many things I don't know about. (This
morning we were trying to figure out how to keep
woodchucks out of the garden without a fence. Darned
if I know.
But home repair and computers happen to be my specialties.
I've made most of my income as a contractor since 1985.
(Carpentry, renovation, cabinetwork, etc.) But around '99
I also got intrigued by computers (or rather addicted) and
ended up teaching myself programming and web design. (It
actually reminds me a lot of carpentry. The handyman/
troubleshooting quality is similar. The fondness for detail is
also similar, at least for me. And all of those endeavors --
programming, web design and carpentry -- turn out better
if one has an eye for layout, color, grpahics, etc.)

I made some money writing shareware during the PC
craze. I make almost no money from it now, but I still
enjoy it. I build my own computers and also do it for
friends. And I still get about 300 visitors/day for my free
software, utilities, components, sample code and information.
(Much of which was originally written for my own purposes.)

www.jsware.net

A big part of how I learned about the inner workings of
Windows was simply my own impatience. I like to understand
how things work, and I like them to work properly. And not
much works properly with computers if one doesn't understand
a lot about them. Example:
An hour ago I was watching my ladyfriend read a webpage
about woodchucks while some sort of inane Flash cartoon ad
jumped around on the right border of the page. I don't know
how people can stand that when they're trying to read. I last
about 10 seconds before I get fed up and decide to figure
out 1) how the animation works and 2) how I can arrange to
never see it again.