Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On 4/9/2014 9:44 PM, JAS wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, June 18, 2010 9:58:42 PM UTC-4, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

If there is a difference between welding oxygen and medical Oxygen, can anyone prove to me the difference, if it's just a tag, that is not proof, Talk is not proof, Just answer the question if you know for sure....

I used to work for a propane company and we delivered the K oxygen
welding tanks to medical cust., they used a medical regulator and a
medical humidifier. Of course that was in the early 60's.

Medical oxygen must be at leas 99%pure, no odor. It is also tagged with
the lot so it can be traced. Often, it is from the same tanks as welding
oxygen as ts long as they both meet the minimum requirements, that is OK
to do.

In real life, I'd use welding oxygen if I was in need of it to breathe,
but as a supplier to patients, I'd not give it to you unless it had the
right tag. It keeps the lawyers away.